This has to be considered a “politically incorrect” recipe. Oh the humanity! This pie is loaded with sugar and would make most nutritionists cringe nowadays.
I grew up eating this on occasion usually around Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Sometimes at other times especially when visiting Allentown PA where my father was from. On one occasion we were eating at a local eatery (can’t remember the name and it is probably gone now anyway) and when the hungry growing boy that I was in those days had wolfed down a huge sandwich made from local ingredients the waitress without even asking plopped a plate in front of me and winked at me. My mother was heard to exclaim “now way can you finish that huge slice… there’s enough for three!” I proved my mom wrong once again about my appetite and devoured that still slightly warm slice of Shoofly pie in minutes.
You can use a premade pastry sheet for your crust (I use Pillsbury when I’m being lazy) or follow my instructions for a home made pie crust.
- 1 cup of molasses
- 1 cup of hot water
- 4 cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat an oven to 400F
- Line a nine inch pie pan with the pie crust of your choice
- Mix the ingredients for the filling
- Mix the ingredients for the topping until the topping resembles gravel.
- Pour the molasses mixture into the bottom of the pie crust
- Pour the topping over the top and sprinkle with some cinnamon
- Bake for 30 minutes at 400F and lower the temperature to 350F and bake for 30 more minutes.