Honestly there is at least one recipe for Sloppy Joes for every cook making them. Here is one of several recipes I use for sloppy joes. You can substitute ground chicken, ground pork, ground turkey (blech!) or even TVP if you are adhering to some sort of dietary restrictions.
Sloppy Joes are hearty comfort food meant to fill a hungry belly. And they are sloppy.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion minced fine
- 2 cloves garlic minced fine
- 2 15oz cans tomato sauce
- ½ T oregano
- ½ T basil
- In a saute or fry pan over medium heat break up the ground beef and begin to brown
- While the meat is browning add the onion and garlic and continue to stir until the onion turns glassy
- Add the tomato sauce
- Add the herbs
- Cook for 10 minutes and salt and pepper to taste
- Server on hamburger rolls or hearty bread
- Provide napkins