This is a recipe I have been evolving for many years. Anybody that knows my cooking style knows that I can’t leave any recipe alone without putting my stamp on it. This is testament to that.
My inspiration was actually from muffins I used to buy in a muffin shop at the Harborside Building in Jersey City when I worked there sometime around 1994. Wasn’t crazy about my job there but I was certainly over the moon for the Cranberry Orange muffins the shop made. Every morning on my way to my desk I’d pick one up to have with my morning coffee. In those days I used to keep a coffee pot right on my desk. My coffee was considered the stuff of legends by my coworkers. French Roast coffee brewed to double strength that rumor had it would dissolve a spoon put into it which everyone thought was the reason I drank it black. The combination of the citrus and the tartness of the cranberries not to mention the absolutely wonderful muffin that supported the cast of flavors played well with my uber strong coffee. I still make and drink my coffee that way by the way.
- 1 package of Ocean Spray cranberries
- 1 - 1½ cups of orange juice plus juice of two oranges
- Juice of two lemons
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger (or grated)
- ⅓ cup of julienned orange peel
- ¼ cup of julienned lemon peel
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- water as needed (probably not)
- Place all ingredients in a sauce pan adding water if there is not enough liquid. Berries should just float. Too much water will result in a thin sauce.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer
- Simmer until berries pop
- continue to simmer allowing the sauce to jelly
- refrigerate overnight
This recipe subject to change as I continue to tweak the flavors