My sausage stuffing recipe has drawn a lot of compliments over the years and has been evolving for at least forty five years. I started making this stuffing while still in high school and trot it out every Thanksgiving as well as other occasions.
This is a true stuffing meaning it is meant to be cooked inside of the meat you are stuffing.
A variation on this recipe includes adding 2 peeled, cored and chopped Granny Smith apples especially if I am stuffing double cut pork chops with this recipe.
- 1 loaf of "stuffing bread" or 1 package dried stuffing croutons. Cube the bread and put in a 170F oven until dried out and slightly toasted.
- 1 1b of loose italian style sausage
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 T Bells Poultry seasoning
- 2 eggs beaten
- Chicken broth (see instructions)
- Combine the sausage, onion and celery in a skillet and cook until the sausage is cooked through and the onions are glassy. Allow to cool completely.
- In a bowl combine the bread, poultry seasoning and eggs
- Add the cooled sausage mixture and mix thoroughly
- Add small quantity at a time of the chicken broth to moisten the stuffing but not runny
- Stuff into bird or whatever meat you are stuffing