Origins of this recipe are to me a bit murky. Allegedly it is a Canadian recipe but I’m just not sure. What I am sure about is they have been a hit every time I served them and at least one turnip hater was converted after trying them. You could try different cheeses than my standard mix but that’s up to you.
One thing is for sure… this is not diet food.
- 1 large rutabaga; peeled and cubed
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Monterrey jack cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- boil the rutabaga in salted boiling water until easily pierced with a fork or skewer
- drain and return to the pot and put on a burner at medium high heat; allow the water still in the rutabaga cubes to boil off; they will be dry when you don't hear any more "hissing" noises
- add the cheeses and cream and mash the mixture mixing until well incorporated.