I started this batch on 9/2/2019 and am anticipating doing its final steps in December 2019. Based on other batches I’ve made before.
Fermented Jalapeno Hot Sauce
Author: Peter L. Berghold
Recipe type: Hot sauce
A fermented hot sauce made from fresh Jalapeno peppers.
- 3 pints of fresh Jalapeno Peppers, stems removed and sliced crosswise
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 Onion quartered
- ⅓ cup of julienne carrot
- ½ cup of kosher salt
- non chlorinated water; I use Poland Spring water
- Take two Mason jars (mine are 24 ounce) and put the ingredients except the salt into the jar(s) in layers. Two cloves of garlic in each jar. Half the onion in one jar and spread the carrots between.
- Mix the salt in a quart of water and pour the water over the vegetables until jar is almost full. Leave a bit of room for the next step.
- Put a chaser over the vegetables (see notes)
- Put a fermentation lock on the jars (see notes) and twist the ring onto the jars
- Put aside and watch the fermentation for about three days to ensure it has started. First signs can be as early as 4 hours or as much as 72 hours.
- Place in a warm place out of direct sunlight and let ferment for three months.
- When the fermentation is done blend in a blender and optionally strain out solids. (I don't)
- Put in bottles/jars/whatever and refrigerate and enjoy
Fermentation lock: I have wonderful lids for Mason jars that are silicone in material with a nipple and a small hole in them. Work perfectly