These are a huge hit every time I make them. Simple to make each batch makes roughly a dozen.
Author: Salty Old Dog
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: one dozen
These muffins are a recipe belonging to my grandfather John Buchan. My mom grew up in Nobleboro Maine outside of Damariscotta. These are a fairly simple muffin to make and oh so good.
- 3 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 8 teaspoons sugar
- 6 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons of shortening or lard(!)
- Water (see my notes)
- Preheat an oven to 450F
- Sift and combine the dry ingredients.
- Cut in the shortening or lard until the mixture resembles a bowl of peas
- Add water slowly while mixing adding just enough to hold the dough together.
- Distribute among twelve well greased muffin tins
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Should be light brown spots on the crowns when done.