Author: Salty Old Dog
Recipe type: Gravy or sauce
Serves: 3 cups
A generic mushroom gravy to use where called for
- 1 lb of white mushrooms sliced
- 3 cups of beef or chicken broth
- ½ cup of roux
- Put broth in a sauce pan and bring to a boil
- Add roux and stir with a whisk thoroughly
- Once thickened reduce to low heat and add mushrooms
- Simmer until mushrooms are "just done" but not rubbery.
For something different baby portabello mushrooms can be used instead of the generic white mushrooms. I normally peel these with a paring knife removing the brown skin. No reason you have to but I do.
Additions to this recipe might include
- chopped shallots sauteed in the pan drippings before making the roux
- add 1 teaspoon of rosemary powder to the gravy at the end